Agedashi TofuCourse: MainsCuisine: JapaneseDifficulty: Easy
Knob of ginger
2 cloves garlic
4-6 Shitaki mushrooms (or regular)
2 Tbsp miso paste (fish free)
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp of mirin or 2tsp sugar
Few bits of daikon if you have it!
1 Spring onion, bok choi or kale
Block of tofu coated in corn flour or similar
Oil to cook
Pack or two of Udon noodles
- Cut the tofu into quite large squares, dip it into the cornflour and deep or shallow fry and put aside. Keep the pieces separate in the pan or they stick together!
- Heat the noodles by plunging them into boiling water for a few minutes and drain.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan lightly fry the garlic, grated or finely chopped peeled ginger, the sliced shitake mushrooms (rehydrated with boiling water if dried) and mirin, until they bubble.
- Add the miso paste, and 2 cups of water and simmer it till the flavours for develop (5 minutes or so).
- Add the bok choi or kale sliced finely and cook for a few minutes.
- Divide the tofu and noodles amongst your bowls.
- Pour the hot broth into each bowl and garnish with the grated daikon and spring onion to taste.
- This relatively quick dish has rich complex flavours in the broth, which are poured over the delicately fried tofu pieces. Yum
Liked this? We think you'll enjoy these recipes:
Liked this? We think you’ll enjoy these recipes: Jackfruit Chop Suey with Noodles • May 5, 2022 Christmas Sandwich • May 5, …
Liked this? We think you’ll enjoy these recipes: Christmas Sandwich • May 5, 2022 Xmas Savoury Strudel • May 5, 2022 Tomato …