Baked Polenta with VegiesCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: EuropeanDifficulty: Easy
1 cup coarse polenta
2 Tbsp Vegan butter/ margerine / oil
Salt and pepper
3 cups water
2-3 cloves garlic
- Smash the garlic with salt and add it to the heated oil/ marg in a sauce pan.
- Cook for a minute or so at high heat but don’t burn the garlic, stir constantly.
- Add the polenta and stir for 30 secs, then add all the water and whisk it briskly while it cooks on a high heat, forming a porridgey consistency. Cook this for a further 4 mins on a mid-heat, stirring frequently, add pepper.
- Turn it out into a greased flat tray or container, so that your polenta will be at least 1 cm high and ready to cut into fingers, when cooled. It will come out very easily, ready for cutting and baking.
- Chop an array of vegies fairly small; for example potato, kumera, pumpkin, carrots, onion, and bake them in the oven for around 45 minutes until soft and golden.
- Gently place the polenta in the oven as well for the last 20 minutes or so on top of, or next to, the vegies.
- Serve with a tomato relish, or tomato chutney or spicy homemade tomato sauce alongside blanched peas, beans or edamame (frozen soy beans)