BaklavaCourse: DessertCuisine: Greek, TurkishDifficulty: Medium
1 cup whole raw almonds
1 cup walnuts or pecan nuts
1 cup hazelnuts
2 tsp cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp mixed spice, ground
1 375g packet filo pastry & plenty of extra virgin olive oil for brushing over sheets of pastry
1 cup raw sugar
1 cup apple syrup
1 Cinnamon stick
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Sliced almonds for sprinkling over the top before serving
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Chop the nuts either by hand or in a food processor. Try not to chop too fine.
- Place nuts in a mixing bowl and add the other filling ingredients and mix well.
- Lightly grease a baking dish, approximately 20cm x 30cm. Ensure the dish is slightly smaller than the length and width of the filo pastry.
- Line the baking dish with one sheet of filo at a time and brush each sheet with oil. For the base, line with 10 sheets of filo.
- Spread the nut and spice mixture and pack down firmly.
- Cover the nut mixture with the remaining sheets of filo, one sheet at a time, brushing with oil. Brush top layer. Trim the pastry around the sides and score the surface into diamond portions.
- Place in a warm oven and bake for 1 hour, monitor for surface browning. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- While Baklava is baking, prepare the syrup. Add the syrup ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Once the baking is complete, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Slowly drizzle the syrup over the Baklava. This final step is very important for the success of the Baklava
- Sit for 5-6 hours or overnight to allow the syrup to soak through.
- Slice into diamond shaped portions and serve with a sprinkling of almond slices and vegan cream or yoghurt of choice.
Liked this? We think you'll enjoy these recipes:
Liked this? We think you’ll enjoy these recipes: Cassava Cake • April 29, 2022 Liked this? We think you’ll enjoy these recipes: …