Burnt Sugar Steamed PuddingCourse: Dessert
5 tablespoons sugar
1 cup boiled water
2 ½ cups plain flour
1 ¼ cups caster sugar
250 grams vegan butter (cubed) or vegan margarine ie. Olivani (scooped out with a tsp), chilled
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 vegan substitute eggs
Steamed pudding bowl like this one:
A large pot, that will fit the steamed pudding bowl in it, with the large pot lid on.
2 medium mixing bowls
Measuring cups and spoons
Spatula for mixing
- Make sure the bowl you will be using to make the steamed pudding is smaller and fits well into your pot with water in it, with the large pot’s lid on. It wants to be a little snug so it doesn’t bounce around.
- Place your large steaming pot on low to medium heat with the lid on. The water needs to be about an inch lower than the top of the pudding bowl.
- BURNT SUGAR - Toss the sugar evenly into a saucepan and place on medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, boil your water and measure out a cup.
- As soon as the sugar is a caramel colour and fully dissolved, remove from the heat. Stirring in the cup of boiled water. Be careful because it can splatter and is very hot.
- Pour the burnt sugar mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- PUDDING - Place the flour and sugar in a seperate bowl and stir to combine.
- Add in the cubed vegan butter or margarine and rub it in until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add ground allspices and baking soda and stir through, making a well in the centre. Add in the beaten vegan eggs and burnt sugar syrup.
- Fold the dry mixture into the centre to incorporate until the mixture resembles a loose batter.
- Lightly grease the inside of your pudding bowl and pour your batter into it.
- Place the steamed pudding lid on and place in your pot for 2 hours with the big lid on too. Make sure the boiling water is in line with the top of the pudding mix, about an inch below the steamed pudding lid.
- Check every half an hour and top up boiling water if needed.
- Remove the pudding from the heat.
- Test if it is fully cooked through with a skewer, it should feel spongy.
- Invert onto your serving plate.
- Slice and serve while warm with some of the following; vegan pouring cream, vegan custard, vegan vanilla ice-cream, vegan whipped cream, vegan butterscotch sauce if you want to be fancy. It is also nice when cold, sliced, with vegan butter.