Chia Sago in Coconut MilkCourse: BreakfastCuisine: New Zealand, PasifikaDifficulty: Easy
400ml coconut milk (Kara brand is preferable for flavour)
4 tablespoons maple syrup, agave or brown rice syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
6 tablespoons chia seeds
Fruit, plant-based yoghurt or toppings of choice
- Pour coconut milk into large bowl, add water, syrup, vanilla essence and stir.
- Add chia seeds and stir them in so they are no longer floating.
- Check on the mixture and stir it regularly while the seeds absorb the liquid and swell. This ensures the chia swells while in suspension and makes for an even consistency, rather than having the seeds settle and swell at the bottom of the bowl.
- Cover the bowl and place in fridge over night.
- When ready to serve, ladle the liquid into serving bowls (or short drinking glasses look great) and top with chopped banana, blueberries or other favourite fruit. This is great also with a spoonful of plant-based yoghurt on top. Best eaten chilled.