Cream of Broccoli SoupCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
If you’re trying to make more meals for the whole family than the littlest one can eat, this creamy soup is perfect! I don’t need to tell you that broccoli is healthy, but I can say that the combination of cannellini beans, cashew cream, leafy greens, and veggies supply amazing essential nutrients like vitamins A, K, magnesium, and zinc. It’s delicious for adults and will make babies grow strong and healthy. A win-win! Babies under 9 months shouldn’t have added salt, so I’m skipping it in this recipe. Feel free to add salt to taste to all the non-baby portions.
1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets
1 small-medium onion, roughly chopped
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
1 can of no-salt cannellini beans, rinsed
A bunch of spinach or kale leaves
1⁄3 cup cashews, boiled for about 5 minutes to soften
3 cups water, more if needed
1-2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp Italian herbs
1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
- Chop all the veggies, and rinse the beans.
- Boil the cashews for about 5 minutes (or soak them in hot water for 10 minutes). Blend them with 1⁄3 cup water until smooth and creamy.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp olive oil and cook the onion for 2-3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add potato and 3 cups of boiling water, cover, and cook on low for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes have softened (check with a fork).
- Add broccoli florets, cannellini beans, and leafy greens.
- Cover and cook for 5 more minutes, until the broccoli is soft.
- Add Italian herbs, garlic powder and blended cashews, mix well and cook uncovered for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and blend the soup with a stick blender until smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with toasted bread.