Creamy Chickepea Soup for babies, kids and parents
• 3 medium onions
• 4 garlic cloves
• 3-4 celery sticks
• 2 potatoes
• 2 cans unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 4 tbsp tahini
• 2-4 tbsp olive oil
1 litre of low-sodium vegetable stock (use water instead if your baby is younger than 9 months as young babies shouldn’t have added salt.)
• 1-2 lemons
• ½ tbsp sweet paprika powder, more to taste
• spring onion and sesame seeds to top up - optional
- Peel and roughly chop all the veggies.
- Place a large pot on a medium-low heat, add olive oil. Sauté the veggies for 5-10 minutes, until softened.
- Add the chickpeas and veggie stock, bring to a simmer. Lower the heat, cover with a lid and cook for 10-15 more minutes. Check that the vegetables are nice and soft.
- Add tahini, paprika and lemon juice from 1 lemon, turn off the heat and blitz with a stick blender until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more tahini, paprika or lemon to taste.
- Enjoy with your family, topped up with some chopped spring onion and sesame seeds, if desired. Save the rest for the next day’s meal.
- This soup is so flavourful and comforting that our family has been enjoying it almost every week for the past couple of months! Full of wholesome goodness, rich in vitamins and plant iron, it makes a healthy meal for all growing kids, including babies from around 7 months. I like making a large pot of this soup so we can have it for 2 days (less cooking!).