Creamy Spinach DipCourse: SidesCuisine: ChristmasDifficulty: Easy
1 large cob loaf
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons plain flour
375 ml (1 ½ cup) almond or soy milk
60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
3 spring onions, chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
250 g frozen spinach, thawed
1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
150 g (½ cup) vegan mayonnaise (we love Vegenaise!)
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Slice the top of the cob loaf off and remove the inside filling. Cut the top and filling into chunks.
- In a medium sized frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Follow with the almond milk and lemon juice and whisk for 3-4 minutes or until mixture is nice and thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add spring onion, red onion and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Stir in spinach, vegetable stock powder and mayonnaise and cook a further 2 minutes.
- Remove this mix from heat and add it to the almond milk mixture. Using a spoon, combine thoroughly with lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.
- Set the cob onto a lightly greased or lined baking tray, and pour in mixture. Bake, along with the bread chunks, for 5-10 minutes or until chunks are lightly browned and loaf is golden.
- Serve with bread chunks and/or veggie sticks for dipping.