Crispy Teriyaki TofuCourse: Mains, SidesCuisine: JapaneseDifficulty: Easy
- CRISPY TOFU
Pack of firm tofu (to be cut into 1 inch pieces)
1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon oil of choice
1 tablespoon cornstarch and ¼ teaspoon white or black pepper
- TERIYAKI SAUCE
¼ cup water and ⅓ cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar and 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil and 1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 garlic clove diced
2 tablespoons cold water and 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Place the tofu into a medium bowl and add the soy sauce, oil, cornstarch and pepper. Toss to coat the tofu.
- Arrange the tofu pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, turning halfway through, until browned and crispy.
- While the tofu bakes, prepare the sauce. Stir ¼ cup of water, brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sherry, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger together in small saucepan.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes, until reduced by about ⅓.
- Stir the cold water and cornstarch together in a small bowl or cup. Stir the mixture into the sauce and allow it to simmer for about 1 minute more, until it thickens up a bit.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- When the tofu is cooked, add it to the pot and stir to coat the tofu with sauce.
- Serve with rice, steamed vegetables and sprinkle with sesame seeds
Liked this? We think you'll enjoy these recipes:
Liked this? We think you’ll enjoy these recipes: Christmas Sandwich • May 5, 2022 Xmas Savoury Strudel • May 5, 2022 Tomato …