Pasifika 7 Day Meal Plan
Banana PancakesCourse: BreakfastCuisine: American, New ZealandDifficulty: Easy
2 cup of oats
3 ripe banana
1 cup plant-based milk
Fruit topping of your choice
Coconut yoghurt, maple syrup or other toppings of choice
- Grind the oats into flour ~ quick and easy in a blender or food processor.
- Add the ripe banana and your choice of plant milk and mix (stir in or use the blender) to make the desired consistency.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a non-stick pan and ladle in some mixture and fry, using a spatula to flip over.
- Pick whatever topping you like e.g. more bananas, blueberries, coconut and maple syrup.
- Tip: For an alternative to plant based milk use water, liquid from a can of chickpeas or coconut water.
Quick sprout saladCourse: LunchCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
2 container mixed bean sprouts (you can usually find this near the bagged lettuce at the supermarket)
2 avocado, cut into chunks
large handful of brazil nuts or almonds
juice of 2 lemons
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and ground pepper to taste
Optional accompaniment – a few slices of baguette
- Combine all ingredients.
- Goes nicely piled on slices of baguette, or just alone.
Tofu Coconut CurryCourse: DinnerCuisine: Pasifika, AsianDifficulty: Easy
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 yellow (or white) onion, chopped
2 bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-inch fresh ginger, minced
1 tbsp curry powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp cumin powder
400 ml coconut milk
1 cup crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 x 450 g extra firm plain tofu, chopped into 1-inch cubes
3 cups baby spinach
2 lime, zest and juice
½ cup fresh coriander (optional) , chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large sauté pan or skillet at medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil, onion, bell pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Sauté until the onions begin to brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, curry powder, turmeric, and cumin and stir for another minute or two, until fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the coconut milk, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste until well-incorporated. Add the tofu and gently stir to coat with the sauce.
- Bring the curry to a boil before reducing the heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, lime zest, and lime juice, until the spinach wilts. Taste for additional salt and pepper. Top with fresh coriander and serve over rice.
Cost Breakdown of Meals (Based on ingredients sourced from Countdown Supermarkets in Christchurch as well as Pasifika supermarkets. Prices may vary between regions)
Breakfast: Banana Pancakes (serves 4)
Plant milk: $1.70
Coconut yoghurt (optional): $1.40
Total cost of meal $7.58
Price per serve: $1.89
Lunch: Quick Sprout salad (serves 4)
Brazil nuts or almonds: $2.25 for almonds $4.67 for Brazil nuts
Salt and pepper:$0.04
Total cost of meal: $13.59
Price per serve:$3.39
Dinner: Tofu Coconut curry (serves 4)
Vegetable oil: 0.08 cents
Bell Pepper: $4.98
Garlic cloves: $0.6
Turmeric Powder: $0.28
Cumin powder: $0.36
Coconut milk: $1.50
Crushed tomatoes: $1.30
Tomato paste: $0.56
Salt and pepper:$0.04
Total cost of meal: $34.64
Price per serve: $8.66
TOTAL COST OF DAY: $55.81