Pasifika 7 Day Meal Plan
Muesli, fruit and plant milk.
Green Banana SaladCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: PasifikaDifficulty: Easy
6 green bananas
¼ cup plant-based milk or 1 teaspoon vinegar
100 grams cooked ota tendrils, any other greens or beans
1 cup coriander or basil leaves
1 cup chopped spring onions
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes or chopped ripe tomato
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp lime juice
1/3 cup virgin organic coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
- Cut the core ends off the bananas
- Boil the bananas in plenty of water with a little milk or vinegar; this will stop black marks cooking in the skin of the bananas
- When the bananas are just soft, the skins will split
- Drain and let cool
- Peel the bananas
- Slice into a bowl
- Add the lime juice and olive oil
- Add chopped tomatoes, greens, ota tendrils or veges of choice
- Add the coriander or basil leaves, spring onions and garlic
- 10. Toss all ingredients well
- 11. Garnish with ota or other greens
Turmeric Manioke with Vegetable SapasuiCourse: MainsCuisine: PasifikaDifficulty: Medium
4 Manioke or cassava
1 cup corn flour
1 tbs smoked paprika & 1 tbs turmeric
2 tbs tomato paste
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 golf ball size piece ginger (peeled)
3 tbs soy sauce (GF optional)
4 tbs sesame oil
3 cloves garlic & 1 lge onion
Small bunch onion weed (seasonal could be growing in your backyard or maunga)
2 lge carrots & 3 sticks celery
1/4 cabbage white, red or mixed
1 cup plain plant based yoghurt
Black pepper & 2 tsp salt
Vegetable oil for frying
- Boil casava in salted water for 15 mins.
- Remove and split open to remove the woody strings down the centre.
- When the cassava is cool, chop into angled chunks like nuggets and place in a bowl. Add the spices, yoghurt, tomato paste and salt and let it marinate while you prepare the noodles.
- Pour boiling water over the vermacelli noodles till they are well covered and set aside with a lid over them, for around 10 mins.
- Finely chop ginger, garlic and a chilli (if using) and cook in sesame oil on high for a few minutes.
- Add sliced vegies and corn and soy sauce and caramelise for 5 mins.
- Add the drained vermacelli noodles and cook off for 5 mins or so.
- Come back to the cassava and liberally sprinkle corn flour over the pieces.
- Mix the cornflour into the cassava pieces with the maranade, until each piece is well coated.
- Shallow or deep fry these nuggets and serve over the sapasui on a plate.
- Top with chopped onion flowers and a few chopped stems.
Cost Breakdown of Meals (Based on ingredients sourced from Countdown Supermarkets in Christchurch as well as Pasifika supermarkets. Prices may vary between regions)
Breakfast: Muesli, fruit and plant milk (serves 4)
Cereal (muesli): $1.65
Plant milk: $3.30
Total Cost of meal: $7.61
Price per serve: $1.90
Lunch: Green Banana salad (serves 4)
Plant milk: 28 cents or vinegar: 0.016 cents
Coriander: 0.64 cents
Spring onions: $2.99
Salt and pepper to taste:$0.02
Total Price of Meal: $16.5
Price per serve: $4.15
Dinner: Turmeric Manioke with Vegetable Sapasui (serves 4)
Manioke or cassava:$3.4
Corn flour: $0.54
Plant based Yoghurt:$3.52
Salt and pepper:$0.02
Total cost of meal: $17.11
Price per serve: $4.27
TOTAL COST OF DAY $41.22