Sausage and Mash with GravyCuisine: EuropeanDifficulty: Easy
Vegan sausages (so many brands to choose from at most supermarkets)
Potatoes mashed with vegan butter/spread
Plain soy milk
Salt and pepper
Peas, carrots, broccoli (or vegetables of your choice)
3 Tbsp vegan butter (I used Nuttelex Olive spread)
1 brown onion (diced)
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
2 Tbsp miso paste
1 Tbsp soy sauce/tamari sauce
½ tsp of dried thyme
2 Tbsp plain flour/ GF flour
2 cups of plant-based chicken stock or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes. Once cooked mash with vegan butter of your choice, a splash of soy milk, salt and pepper
- Cook sausages according to instructions
- Cook peas, or any other veggies
- Gravy Topping (optional)
- Prepare the ingredients: dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- In a medium saucepan, melt vegan butter on medium heat and add onion and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add miso paste, soy/tamari sauce and dried thyme. Mix well and fry for 2 minutes.
- Incorporate flour and fry for 2-3 more minutes.
- Pour in approx. 1/3 of the stock and whisk until well combined. Add the remaining stock and mix again.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to medium-low heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- This gravy can be served chunky, or if you prefer a smooth gravy as I do, you can strain it through a sieve.
- Tonzu sausages are pictured – these are very sausagey tasting!
- Mash options – try adding tahini and nutritional yeast to make a creamy cheesy mash, or add angel food cheddar.
- You could make with hash browns (most are vegan), grilled or fried mushrooms and spinach or kale.
- Photos and video courtesy of Green Kai. For this and lots more gorgeous recipes check out instagram https://www.instagram.com/greenkai_/