Pasifika 7 Day Meal Plan
Banana Sago PuddingCourse: BreakfastCuisine: Pasifika, New ZealandDifficulty: Easy
4 ripe bananas
2 tbsp sago
1 cup coconut cream
- Mash the bananas. Add water to just cover the bananas then stir through the sago
- Pour the banana mixture in a saucepan
- Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then turn the heat down and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently until sago turns transparent
- Before serving, stir in the coconut cream
- Serve warm or cold.
- Add a lemon leaf into the saucepan when cooking the rice. Try topping it with tropical fruit like melon or papaya.
Cauliflower WingsCourse: Lunch, SnacksCuisine: Christmas, New ZealandDifficulty: Medium
1 cauliflower cut into florets
2 c water
1 1/2 c chickpea flour (besan)
2 tomato (or 1/2 red capsicum)
6 cloves garlic
16 drops black pepper essential oil
2 tbsp tapioca flour(arrowroot or cornflour)
3 tsp smoked paprika
3 tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp chilli powder or 1/2 red chilli
1 drop liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to the highest setting (you want it be really hot when you put your wings in so they
- come some crunchy).
- In a blender, add all the ingredients (minus the cauliflower and sesame seeds) and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- In a bowl, add the mixture to the cauliflowers so all the florets are covered.
- Grease a non-stick tray with coconut oil.
- Place the florets in, making sure there is a bit of space between each of them and they are not touching.
- Sprinkle over sesame seeds and bake for 12 minutes or until they are crispy and golden brown.
Sweet Soy NoodlesCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
500g egg-free spaghetti or noodles
1 medium size onion – finely chopped
20g ginger – grated
3 cloves garlic – crushed
50g brown sugar
3 tbsp olive oil
1 cube vegan vegetable bouillon in 1 cup boiling water
4 tablespoons soy sauce
Spring onion or broccoli florets to garnish
- Prepare the spaghetti following directions on packet, then set aside.
- In a large pan, sauté the onion and ginger in the olive oil until the onions are glassy but not brown.
- Add crushed garlic, brown sugar and vegan bouillon.
- Bring to simmer and cook gently for about a minute.
- Add soy sauce and bring content to simmer.
- Simmer for about 3 minutes until liquid begins to thicken.
- Add spaghetti and fold in the sauce evenly.
- Dress with spring onion or steamed broccoli florets and serve
Cost Breakdown of Meals (Based on ingredients sourced from Countdown Supermarkets in Christchurch as well as Pasifika supermarkets. Prices may vary between regions)
Breakfast: Banana Sago Pudding (serves 4)
Coconut Cream: $0.95
Total Cost of meal:$4.89
Price per serve: $1.22
Lunch: Cauliflower wings (serves 4)
Cauliflower: $7.99 fresh $3.50 frozen
Chickpea flour: $1.80
Onion: 0.87 cents
Black pepper essential oils:$0.68
Smoked paprika (Countdown own brand): $1.24
Sea salt (Cerebos brand): $0.06
Baking powder: $0.19
Chilli powder or red chilli: 0.7 cents for fresh chilli
Liquid smoke: $0.01
Total Cost of Meal:$14.30
Price per serve: $3.57
Dinner: Sweet Soy Noodles (serves 4)
Brown sugar: $0.14
Olive oil: $0.48
Stock: $0.25 cents
Spring onion (optional): $2.99
Total Cost of Meal: $15.61
Price per serve: $3.90
TOTAL COST FOR DAY $34.80