Pasifika 7 Day Meal Plan
Cocoa RiceCourse: BreakfastCuisine: Pasifika, New ZealandDifficulty: Easy
1.5 cups medium grain rice
4 cups coconut water
4 tbsp cocoa
3 tbsp brown sugar
5 tbsp coconut cream
- Put all the ingredients except the coconut cream, into a saucepan
- Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then turn the heat down and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until the chocolate rice is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut cream
Hawaiian Jackfruit PizzaCourse: LunchCuisine: European
1 ready-made pizza dough
1/2 red onion
2 20-ounce cans jackfruit (in brine or water)
8 pineapple slices
6 sprigs coriander
1 1/2 cups spicy sauce of your choice
2 tablespoons diced jalapeño
1 1/2 blocks of vegan mozzarella cheese
- Boil the jackfruit in water for 10 minutes. Drain and add to a skillet over medium heat with a little oil.
- Begin to break up the jackfruit so it becomes shredded.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then add 1 cup of red sauce of choice.
- If you’d like a more crispy result you can cook for 10 minutes and then bake on 300°F for another 10 minutes.
- Roll out your dough. Place on a greased pan. Layer the jackfruit on top. Then, layer with grilled pineapple, red onion, jalapeño, and top with vegan cheese.
- Bake on 400°F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with additional sauce, grilled avocado, and coriander.
Fijian Dahl with RiceCourse: MainsCuisine: Indian, PasifikaDifficulty: Easy
1 onion (finely chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
1 small piece of ginger (finely grated)
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
3 tomatoes (diced)
1-2 small carrots (finely grated)
1 1/2 cup of red split lentils
4 cups of veggie stock or water (we use vegan Massel Chicken Style Stock from PaknSave)
1 can coconut cream OR coconut milk
Fresh coriander (chopped) – Optional
Chilli – Optional
- Saute the onion, garlic and ginger in a pot using a little oil or water.
- Once the onion softens add the mustard seeds, cumin and curry powder and saute for a minute or less.
- Add the tomatoes and carrots and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse the lentils then add them along with the veggie stock.
- Bring to a boil while stirring frequently. Then let it simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils softens and becomes mushy.
- Stir in the coconut milk/coconut cream. Add salt to taste. Add chilli to taste if you wish.
- Serve with your favourite rice and sprinkle some freshly chopped coriander on top. Enjoy!
- If you have a pressure cooker, you can put all the prepared ingredients (except for coriander and coconut cream/milk) straight in the pot and cook for about 15 mins. Release the pressure and stir in the coconut cream/milk.
- For extra protein and nutrients, you can add a cup of frozen peas at the end.
Cost Breakdown of Meals (Based on ingredients sourced from Countdown Supermarkets in Christchurch as well as Pasifika supermarkets. Prices may vary between regions)
Breakfast: Cocoa Rice (serves 4)
Coconut water: $4
Total cost of meal:$5.54
Price per serve: $1.38
Lunch: Hawaiian Jackfruit Pizza (serves 4)
Red onion: $2.50
Pineapple slices: $1.9
Total cost of meal:$29.75
Price per serve: $7.43
Dinner: Fijian Dahl (serves 4)
Red split lentils:$2.05
Veggie stock: $4.30
Coconut cream: $1.5
Total cost of meal: $16.71
Price per serve: $4.17
TOTAL COST FOR DAY $52