Pasifika 7 Day Meal Plan
Banana Coconut Breakfast BitesCourse: Breakfast
4 ripe bananas
2 cup rolled oats (quick cook if possible)
1 cup of desiccated coconut
1 cup raisins
2 tsp cinnamon
Optional: pumpkin, sunflower or sesame seeds.
- Set the oven to 200 C.
- Put the bananas in a bowl and mash them with a fork. Stir in cinnamon, oats, coconut and raisins. Mix well.
- Wet a spoon and scoop the mixture on to a baking tray lined with baking paper or a non-stick reusable silicone mat.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the breakfast bites turn a little golden.
- Grind the oats in a coffee grinder to achieve a flour like texture, which will make the breakfast bites a little more like cookies.
- The base of this recipe is the 2 bananas, the oats and the cinnamon but you can add whatever you like. In our house we like to add a variety of seeds such as pumpkin, sesame and sunflower along with the raisins and coconut to add more nutrition. An easy way for you and your family to get more nutrients. Our toddler loves them.
Vegan Ota ('raw fish') SaladCourse: Lunch, SidesCuisine: PasifikaDifficulty: Easy
1x Yellow Capsicum
1x coconut cream
- Wash & dice vegetables into a salad bowl
- Soften and lightly brown eggplant in the frying pan with a drizzle of oil
- Dice the eggplant and add to the vegetables
- Add coconut cream to the diced vegetables and combine well
- Squeeze 1/2 a lemon and Himalayan salt to taste
- Serve with taro, green banana, kumara or pumpkin
Jackfruit and Chickpea Coconut CurryCourse: MainsCuisine: PasifikaDifficulty: Easy
Can of chick peas and can of jackfruit
Can of coconut milk and can of tomatoes
2 large potatoes chopped and par boiled
3 tbsp of Indian Curry powder like chana masala
1 Red pepper, broccoli, beans of your choice
1 onion, cooking oil, salt
4 cloves of garlic, knob of ginger, 1 fresh chilli
Cashew nuts and chopped coriander to garnish
- Fry the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli till soft and fragrant.
- Add the curry powder, salt and red pepper and stir through for a few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, the par-boiled potatoes, the chick peas, the coconut milk and the jackfruit and cook for 20 mins or until cooked and tasty, on medium heat stirring through.
- Add the beans in for the final 5 mins.
- Serve into bowl and garnish with cashew nuts and chopped coriander if desired
- Serve with rice, naan bread and mango or lime chutney
- Jackfruit is used as a meat replacement for its amazing texture. Omit from the recipe if you can’t buy it near you.
Cost Breakdown of Meals (Based on ingredients sourced from Countdown Supermarkets in Christchurch as well as Pasifika supermarkets. Prices may vary between regions)
Breakfast: Banana coconut breakfast bites (serves 4)
Total cost of meal:$6.92
Price per serve: $1.73
Lunch: Vegan Ota (serves 4)
Total cost of meal: $12.56
Price per serve: $3.14
Dinner: Jackfruit and chickpea coconut curry (serves 4)
Total cost of meal:$24.14
Price per serve: $6.03
TOTAL COST FOR DAY $43.62