Pasifika 7 Day Meal Plan
Cocoa RiceCourse: BreakfastCuisine: Pasifika, New ZealandDifficulty: Easy
1.5 cups medium grain rice
4 cups coconut water
4 tbsp cocoa
3 tbsp brown sugar
5 tbsp coconut cream
- Put all the ingredients except the coconut cream, into a saucepan
- Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then turn the heat down and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until the chocolate rice is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut cream
Tomato, Coconut and Ginger SoupCourse: Lunch, Soups, StartersCuisine: European, AsianDifficulty: Easy
1–2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large shallots, rough chopped
2–3 garlic cloves, rough chopped
1 tablespoon ginger, rough chopped
1–2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1x 14 ounce can diced tomatoes and juice
1 cup water
1x 14 ounce can coconut milk
3/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
¼ teaspoon cayenne, more to taste
Ganish – croutons, toasted seeds or nuts
- Saute the shallots, garlic and ginger in a medium pot with oil, over medium heat, until deeply golden for about 5-6 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the can of tomatoes and its juice, until very smooth.
- Add the puree into the pot and add 1 cup water, the can of coconut milk, salt, and cayenne.
- Stir in the ground turmeric.
- Bring to a simmer then turn heat off.
- Add more salt and cayenne to taste.
- Divide among bowls and top with croutons, toasted seeds or nuts; parsley or coriander.
Jackfruit Chop Suey with NoodlesCourse: MainsCuisine: Pasifika, ChineseDifficulty: Medium
3 tsp garlic
3 tsp ginger
2 x capsicum
1 cup frozen peas
2 x 400g can of jackfruit
6 tbsp soy sauce
Salt and pepper
- Finely dice garlic, ginger, onion, capsicum, and mushrooms.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Once the pan is at temperature, pan-fry onion, capsicum and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Drain the can of jackfruit and either use your hands or a tea towel to squeeze out as much water as possible from the jackfruit.
- Slice the jackfruit to resemble shredded chicken.
- Add the jackfruit, garlic and ginger to the vegetables cooking in the pan with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Continue cooking for a further 5 – 10 minutes covered.
- Boil a jug or a pot of water. Add the vermicelli to the boiled water in a bowl or pot. Allow to soak in the water for 5 minutes. Once the vermicelli is translucent, cut the noodles using a kitchen scissors before draining the water.
- After 5-10 minutes of the jackfruit and vegetables cooking, add the frozen peas and continue cooking covered until peas are done.
- Season with salt and pepper; add the vermicelli and the last 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
- Stir together in the pan, taste and add extra seasoning and soy sauce if desired.
- Can be serve with cooked rice.
- TIP: This recipe is flexible with the type of vegetables you can use, such as, frozen mixed vegetables, carrots, celery, spring onions, sliced cabbage, broccoli, silverbeet and taro leaves (pre-cooked) are others.
- To increase the protein content, ½ cup cooked brown lentils or cooked black beans could be added to this recipe.
Cost Breakdown of Meals (Based on ingredients sourced from Countdown Supermarkets in Christchurch as well as Pasifika supermarkets. Prices may vary between regions)
Breakfast: Cocoa Rice (serves 4)
Coconut water: $4
Total cost of meal:$5.54
Price per serve: $1.38
Lunch: Tomato coconut and ginger soup (serves 4)
Total cost of meal:$9.70
Price per serve: $2.42
Dinner: Jackfruit chop suey with noodles (serves 4)
Salt and pepper: $0.04
Total cost of meal:$19.65
Price per serve: $4.91
TOTAL COST FOR DAY $34.89