Macaroni and “Cheese” BakeCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
250 g macaroni noodles
1 c potatoes, chopped
¼ c carrots, chopped
1/3 c onion, chopped
1 c water
1/3 c non-dairy buttery spread
¼ c unsalted cashews
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
¼ tsp black pepper
Handful of breadcrumbs
- Handful of breadcrumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Combine potatoes, carrots, onion, and water in a small saucepan, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for just a few minutes until vegetables are soft.
- In a blender, combine vegetable mixture with buttery spread, cashews, salt, mustard, lemon juice, and pepper.
- Blend thoroughly, leaving part of the blender lid open to vent the steam.
- Combine this sauce with the cooked macaroni, and spread in a rectangular baking pan.
- Top with breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 minutes.
- You could also try topping with grated vegan cheese. See our dairy alternatives page for cheese options.