Moroccan Red Lentil and Chickpea SoupCourse: Lunch, Soups, StartersCuisine: MoroccanDifficulty: Easy
1 large onion or 2 medium
4 cloves garlic
2 red chilies
Can of tomatoes
1.5 cups red lentils
Around 5 cups water
Can of chick peas
1 Tbsp of tomato paste
Oil to fry
3 tsp of salt or more to taste
Juice of a lemon
Olive oil to garnish
Coriander leaves optional
- Fry the onion, garlic and chilies in oil for around 5 mins or until the onion goes clear.
- Throw in the red lentils and fry for a further 2-3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the water, tomatoes, chickpeas and juice.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for hours if possible – 1 hour will do it, 2 to 3 is better for really developing the flavour.
- If the soup seems too pale at the end add a tablespoon or so of tomato paste.
- Serve in bowls alongside some fresh crusty bread. Pour a good drizzle of olive oil onto the soup and a squeeze of lemon, chopped coriander leaves if desired, ground black pepper and salt to taste.
- You could also use this soup as a sauce for a pasta dish, as its get so thick and tasty.
- Add some vegies on the side and Angel Food cheese on top!
Liked this? We think you'll enjoy these recipes:
Liked this? We think you’ll enjoy these recipes: Christmas Sandwich • May 5, 2022 Xmas Savoury Strudel • May 5, 2022 Tomato …