San Choy Bow Salad
1 large head of butter lettuce
• ½ cup salted peanuts, crushed
• 200 g of thin vermicelli noodles
• 100 g textured soy protein
• 2 cups water
• 1 vegetable bouillon cube
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 large brown onion, diced
• 1 red chilli, sliced
• 1 cup chopped spring onion
• ¼ cup soy sauce/tamari
• 2 tbsp maple syrup
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
• sprigs of coriander
- Roughly chop butter lettuce and set aside in a large bowl.
- Grind or chop peanuts and set aside.
- Boil vermicelli noodles until just cooked (Making sure not to over cook them.
- Follow packet instructions, usually about 2-5 minutes max.). Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a small pot add textured soy protein, water and bouillon cube. Bring to boil, cover and simmer until protein has absorbed liquid. Set aside.
- In a large fry pan add vegetable oil, diced onion, sliced chili and fry until tender on medium high heat.
- Reduce heat and add textured soy protein, spring onions with soy sauce, cover with lid and simmer.
- Add maple syrup, sesame oil and hoisin sauce. Stir, cover and simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- To prepare bowls, first add butter lettuce, then vermicelli rice noodles, spoon the textured soy protein mix over the noodles. Garnish with crushed peanuts & coriander. Serve.