Tofu Coconut CurryCourse: DinnerCuisine: Pasifika, AsianDifficulty: Easy
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 yellow (or white) onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-inch fresh ginger, minced
1 tbsp curry powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp cumin powder
400 ml coconut milk
½ cup crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
454 g extra firm plain tofu, chopped into 1-inch cubes
2 cups baby spinach
1 lime, zest and juice
½ cup fresh coriander (optional) , chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large sauté pan or skillet at medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil, onion, bell pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Sauté until the onions begin to brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, curry powder, turmeric, and cumin and stir for another minute or two, until fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the coconut milk, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste until well-incorporated. Add the tofu and gently stir to coat with the sauce.
- Bring the curry to a boil before reducing the heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, lime zest, and lime juice, until the spinach wilts. Taste for additional salt and pepper. Top with fresh coriander and serve over rice.