Tomato Chickpea SoupCourse: LunchDifficulty: Easy
Double plant-protein in this deliciously comforting hug-in-a-bowl: chickpeas give chunky texture, while red lentils help thicken, creating a hearty soup.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, diced
2 tsp coconut or raw sugar
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1⁄2 tsp smoked paprika
1⁄4 cup red lentils
1 x 400 g can of chopped tomatoes, juice & all
1 x 400 g can of chickpeas, drained
4 cups water
1 tsp vegan stock powder, or 1 vegan stock cube
1⁄2 cup tomato passata or puree
1 tsp salt (maybe more if using fresh tomatoes)
good crack of pepper
an optional handful of basil and hemp seeds as garnish
- In a large pot with a lid, heat the oil over a relatively low heat. Sauté the onions gently until soft – aim for 10- 15 minutes if you can (going low and slow deepens the flavour, but if you’re in a rush, just get them soft but not too colored).
- Add the garlic, allow to soften but not burn. Add the sugar, vinegar, all the spices and salt. Stir well. Add all remaining ingredients, mix well and crank the heat up until almost boiling.
- Once it’s simmering, pop the lid on, lower the heat and let it gently simmer for about 15-20 mins. The lentils should be soft and have broken down.
- Have a taste test for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper if desired. Serve with (optional) fresh basil and hemp seeds on top, hot toast or soft rolls. Enjoy!
- To see more of Libby’s recipes, visit her blog www.silverliningskitchen.com and find her on Instagram @silverliningskitchen