Turmeric Manioke with Vegetable SapasuiCourse: MainsCuisine: PasifikaDifficulty: Medium
4 Manioke or cassava
1 cup corn flour
1 tbs smoked paprika & 1 tbs turmeric
2 tbs tomato paste
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 golf ball size piece ginger (peeled)
3 tbs soy sauce (GF optional)
4 tbs sesame oil
3 cloves garlic & 1 lge onion
Small bunch onion weed (seasonal could be growing in your backyard or maunga)
2 lge carrots & 3 sticks celery
1/4 cabbage white, red or mixed
1 cup plain plant based yoghurt
Black pepper & 2 tsp salt
Vegetable oil for frying
- Boil casava in salted water for 15 mins.
- Remove and split open to remove the woody strings down the centre.
- When the cassava is cool, chop into angled chunks like nuggets and place in a bowl. Add the spices, yoghurt, tomato paste and salt and let it marinate while you prepare the noodles.
- Pour boiling water over the vermacelli noodles till they are well covered and set aside with a lid over them, for around 10 mins.
- Finely chop ginger, garlic and a chilli (if using) and cook in sesame oil on high for a few minutes.
- Add sliced vegies and corn and soy sauce and caramelise for 5 mins.
- Add the drained vermacelli noodles and cook off for 5 mins or so.
- Come back to the cassava and liberally sprinkle corn flour over the pieces.
- Mix the cornflour into the cassava pieces with the maranade, until each piece is well coated.
- Shallow or deep fry these nuggets and serve over the sapasui on a plate.
- Top with chopped onion flowers and a few chopped stems.