Veggie Luncheon 'Meat'Course: LunchCuisine: EuropeanDifficulty: Medium
1 cup white beans
2 cups water
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp salt and 2 tsp paprika
2 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp ground fennel
1 tsp sage and 1 tsp pepper
1 tsp soy sauce
2 3/4 cup wheat gluten
- Get water steaming in your steamer.
- Place all ingredients except the gluten flour in a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl. Add gluten flour and work into a dough.
- Shape dough into a log and wrap in heavy duty foil/or cheese cloth like a sausage roll. Try to make the roll as thick as possible. Steam for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C in the last 15 mins of steaming.
- Remove seitan from steamer and bake for 45-60 mins.
- Seitan should swell and press against the foil.
- Cool and slice as needed for sandwiches. This seitan holds up very well and can be shaved very thin. Store in the fridge!
- I found this recipe to be extremely versatile. You can flavour it the way you like as long as you stick to the bean, gluten and water ratio. A friend of mine has even cooked it in a smoker with great results. Kids love this and its great for anyone’s lunchbox or sandwiches.