Xmas Savoury StrudelCourse: DinnerCuisine: ChristmasDifficulty: Medium
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, peeled and chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 x 400 g tins (14 oz) chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried basil
90 ml (3 fl oz) red wine
225 g (8 oz) button mushrooms sliced
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
275 g (100 oz) filo pastry
100 g (4 oz) olive oil, for brushing pastry
90 g (3½ oz) roasted cashew nuts, roughly chopped (alternatively use pecan or pine nuts)
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, cover and cook for approximately 10 minutes until tender but not browned. Add the garlic, tomatoes with their liquid, basil and wine.
- Simmer gently uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid has disappeared and mixture is quite thick – about 20 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 15 minutes or until all liquid has boiled away. Mixture must be quite dry. Season and allow to cool.
- When cool assemble the strudel with defrosted filo. Use filo approximately 12in x 8in, which can go in the average oven tray/sheet. Set oven at mark 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6 if cooking straight away.
- Brush tray with olive oil, put the first layer of filo on the tray and brush with oil, sprinkle a third of the nuts on; lay on top another sheet of filo brushed with oil and sprinkled with nuts. Repeat a third time. Add a fourth layer of filo, brush with oil and put on tomato/mushroom mixture and spread out. Roll the whole thing up like a swiss roll.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with port wine sauce and your favourite Christmas veggies.