Carrot Cake with Golden Cream Cheese Frosting
420 g carrots, cooked until tender, and allowed to cool (note: 240 g of this is for the cake, 180 g is for the frosting)
2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp dry ginger
1/2 cup vegetable oil
(e.g. sunflower or rice bran)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup sugar
1 tsp grated orange rind
3 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup crushed pineapple
2 tbsp liquid of your choice, e.g. juice from pineapple
180 g cooked carrot,as above
240 g Angel Food Cream Cheese Alternative
⅓ cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 23 cm cake tin.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, dried ginger, sugar and baking soda.
- In a food processor, blend 240 g cooked carrot, vegetable oil and 2 tbsp liquid.
- Stir the blended carrot into the dry ingredients gently, then add in the walnuts, orange rind and pineapple.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for approx 45 minutes. Test for done-ness by
putting a metal skewer or sharp knife into the centre of the cake.
- When baked, take out of the oven and leave in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- While the cake is baking, make the frosting: simply blend together in a food processor 180 g cooked
carrot, cream cheese and icing sugar. The mix will blend more easily if the carrot is still warm from
- Once frosting is blended, move it to the fridge – it will be easier to spread once it has cooled and thickened.
- When the cake has cooled, spread the frosting over the top generously. Decorate as you wish – we used
rose petals from the garden and chopped pistachios, but chopped walnuts and crystallised ginger is good