The New Zealand Vegan Pie Awards
Celebrating the craft and skill of Vegan Piemakers throughout Aotearoa.
Welcome to New Zealand’s Vegan Pie Competition 2022
The New Zealand Supreme Vegan Pie Awards recognises and honours 8 award-winning vegan pies from around New Zealand.
The NZ Vegan Pie Awards 2021 – a recent newcomer to the competition, Wild Grain Bakery of Silverdale, Auckland, won the Supreme Winner Award 2021 with their delightful “Triple Berry Spiced Apple” pie for the second year running. They also came runner up across 4 other categories, proving their pies are consistently awesome, no matter which flavour you try! Meanwhile Richoux Takapuna had clearly been taking lessons from Jason Hay, winning several categories with their incredible layers, flavour and perfect pastry.
Richoux Patisserie had been a consistent winner across most categories they entered since the inaugural Awards, thus it was felt only fair to ask Jason Hay to become a judge for this year’s awards. Hay was given a Lifetime Acheivement Award at this year’s ceremony, after proving to be an excellent judge of pies. His expertise in understanding what makes a good vegan pie helped the judges come to their decisions.
2022 NZ Vegan Pie Awards
This year’s awards will be held in Auckland on October 31st.
The pie categories are:
- Vegan Steak and Vegan Cheese – base paste bottom, and a flaky pastry on top
- Vegan Mince and Vegan Cheese – base paste bottom, and a flaky pastry on top
- Vegan Chicken – base paste bottom, and a flaky pastry on top
- Fruit pie – short crust pastry
- Vegetable – base paste bottom, and a flaky pastry on top
- Café boutique – any sort of pastry, shape, open or closed
- Gluten Free – any sort of pastry, shape, open or closed
- Commercial – base paste bottom, and a flaky pastry on top
- Plus a Supreme Award!