Okonomiyaki - Japanese Savoury PancakeCuisine: Japanese
• ¼ cabbage, sliced
• 1 carrot, grated
• 1 courgette, grated
• 3 bunches spring onions, chopped
• 200 g tofu, mashed
Other recommended ingredients: vegan kimchi, vegan cheese, spinach, seaweed, hot chilli
• 1 cup flour (standard or GF)
• 1 cup buckwheat flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 2 cups water
• 1 tsp egg replacer (I use either soaked chia seeds or Ogran product)
• Oil for cooking
• 1 apple
• 2 tbsp tomato sauce
• 5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tsp English mustard
• Salt & pepper to taste
- Sauce: Mix all the ingredients in the blender until smooth. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Pancake: Combine all the ingredients in part A in a bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients in part B in a separate bowl. Slowly pour water and egg replacer and mix until smooth.
- Add part A to part B and stir to combine. The consistency should be like a thick coleslaw.
- Preheat oil in a frying pan until hot and pour the mix- about 1 cm thick, then close the lid for 3 mins.
- Once the surface of the pancake is bubbling and dried slightly, flip the pancake and cook the other side. Check every minute or so to see the pancake is not stuck to the pan.
- Serve with Okonomi sauce and some chilli flakes.
- Okonomiuaki is a popular savory pancake and veganising it is quite easy! Really good to use up leftover vegetables and to make your own favorite combo.