Rich Vegan GravyCourse: SidesCuisine: ChristmasDifficulty: Easy
1 tbsp olive oil
2 small red onions
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp marmite
1 tsp maple syrup
300ml red wine
350ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and finely slice the red onion.
- Peel and grate the garlic.
- Prepare the stock.
- Warm 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and a small pinch of salt to the pan and stir for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Combine the cornflour with 2 tbsp water in a cup and stir to make a slurry.
- Add the slurry to the pan along with the tomato puree, marmite and maple syrup and stir to combine.
- Add the red wine to the pan and stir for 3-4 minutes to reduce.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pan, stir, increase the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes to thicken, stirring occasionally to prevent catching.
- Taste the gravy, season to perfection with salt and pepper and set the pan to one side (if you prefer a smooth gravy, sieve and catch the onions).