Banoffee Custard Cups
500 ml soy milk
100 g caster sugar
50 g cornflour
2 tsp vanilla paste
1 pinch turmeric
75 g vegan butter or spread (e.g. Nuttelex)
- Peanut Miso Caramel
250 g caster sugar
75 ml water
100 ml coconut cream
80 g crunchy peanut butter
1 tbsp white (shiro) miso paste
- Spiced Peanut Crumble
100 g plain flour
50 g muscovado sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp ground cardamom
¼ tsp sea salt
100 g crunchy peanut butter
50 g vegan butter or spread
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan-forced (or 180°C conventional). Line a large oven tray with baking paper and a medium oven tray with cling film
- For the vanilla custard, place the soy milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat and slowly bring to the boil. In a large bowl, whisk together the caster sugar, cornflour, vanilla and turmeric. Once the milk is just starting to bubble, remove from the heat and gradually pour the hot milk into the sugar mixture, one third at a time, whisking together until smooth. Return the mixture to the saucepan, place over medium heat and cook, whisking regularly, until the mixture boils and thickens to form a smooth, thick custard. Cook for a further minute, continuing to whisk, to make sure you cook out the cornflour properly. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vegan butter until smooth. Pour the warm custard onto the cling film-lined oven tray, and cover the surface with cling film to prevent a skin forming. Place in the fridge to cool completely.
- For the peanut-miso caramel, place the caster sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Over medium-low heat, melt the sugar into the water until fully dissolved, then increase the heat to medium- high. Do NOT stir beyond this point. Bring to the boil and cook until a deep amber colour is reached. Remove from the heat and while stirring, carefully pour in the coconut cream (stand back as it will bubble like a cauldron). Return over a low heat and whisk until smooth. Add the peanut butter and miso, again whisking until smooth. Remove from the heat and using an electric hand mixer, beat on high speed for 3 minutes to emulsify the caramel so it is luscious and thick. Pour into a bowl and set aside to cool at room temperature.
- For the crumble, to a medium bowl add the flour, muscovado sugar, spices and sea salt and whisk together with a fork. Add the peanut butter and vegan butter and mix together with your hands to form a crumble mixture. Sprinkle the crumble onto the baking paper-lined oven tray and bake for 15 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven, transfer to a bowl and leave to cool at room temperature.
- To serve, place the sliced banana in a bowl, add the lemon juice and toss to coat. Remove the top layer of
cling film from the chilled custard, spoon the custard into a bowl and whisk thoroughly until smooth. Take
four glass cups/jars and sprinkle a layer of crumble on the bottom, followed by a spoonful of caramel,
some banana slices, and a large spoonful of custard. Repeat, layering the four components, and finish with
a sprinkling of grated chocolate.