Crispy Vietnamese Pancake (Banh Xeo)Course: LunchCuisine: Vietnamese, AsianDifficulty: Easy
1 cup rice flour
2 Tbsp corn flour
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup cold water
1 ½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt, oil to fry
- Ingredients for Filling
Mushrooms, Sprouts, Red pepper, Cabbage, Red onion, Tofu
All finely chopped
Garnish Mint, Vietnamese mint, coriander
Sauces Hoisin Sriracha Soy Sweet chili
- Mix all batter ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- It’s best to prepare the batter a few hours ahead of time and keep in the fridge until ready.
- Heat up a non-stick pan on a medium heat and pour a bit of oil on when its warm.
- Let it heat up, then pour out about 1/3 cup of batter and take the pan off the heat briefly.
- Pour the batter onto the pan and twist and turn the pan so the batter spreads evenly.
- Cook the pancake for a couple of minutes then add a handful of the filling ingredients and place a lid on the pan.
- Cook for a few more minutes. The pancake should look golden brown and be crispy when you peek at it.
- When its golden fold it in half and remove with a big wide spatula.
- Serve on a plate with the garnish herbs. Eat with sauces or as is!
- This tasty, crispy pancake is quite like an eggy omelette