Lentil Shepherds PieCourse: MainsCuisine: EuropeanDifficulty: Medium
yellow onions, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
thyme and rosemary
3 Tbs tomato paste
1 1/2 cups green or brown dried lentils
3-4 cups vege broth/stock
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 Tbs soy or tamari soy sauce
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
Potatoes and cauliflower for topping
- Make the lentil filling
- Heat olive oil in an ovenproof casserole dish and saute onions with a pinch of salt.
- Add the garlic, thyme and rosemary and cook, stirring for a couple more minutes.
- Add tomato paste (and if you like, half cup of red wine). Stir in for a few minutes.
- Add the vege stock, lentils and paprika. Stir to combine and bring to boil. Then simmer until lentils are tender and most of the liquid absorbed – about 25 minutes.
- Make the topping
- Meanwhile chop and boil the potatoes. After 10 minutes add the chopped cauliflower and cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and add the soy and balsamic vinegar.
- Thoroughly drain the potato/cauliflower mix, season and add a touch of vegan butter and/or plant milk. You can also add nutritional yeast for flavour. Mash well.
- Scoop the potato mix on top of your lentil mix and spread out til well covered. For extra flavour drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes with lid on. Then remove lid and grill for a few more minutes until the potato top starts to brown.
- 10. Delicious served with peas and other greens!
Liked this? We think you'll enjoy these recipes:
Liked this? We think you’ll enjoy these recipes: Lentil Shepherds Pie • April 29, 2022 Liked this? We think you’ll enjoy these …