Mac N CheeseCourse: MainCuisine: EuropeanDifficulty: Easy
Pasta or macaroni of your choice
Make your own sauce
Knob of plant butter
3 tbs plain flour
finely chopped garlic and onion to taste
2-3 cups plant milk
3 tbs nutrional yeast
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp mustard (hot or dijon)
salt and pepper
handful grated vegan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to instructions.
- To make it extra tasty sprinkle smoked paprika and breadcrumbs over the top and bake for 5 mins (after already cooking on the stove top).
- Serve as it is, or try with steamed greens or salad.
- Make your own sauce
- Start by making a roux with 3 tbs plain flour and plant butter in a pan – whisk it for about a minute (if you like garlic and onion, chop and saute in oil, then stir in the flour.
- Remove from the heat and slowly add 2-3 cups of creamy plant milk ~ soy is good. Whisk all the time you are adding the milk. Return to the heat and stir continually until thickened.
- Now the fun part, where you can add what you want! We suggest 3 tbs nutritional yeast (brings out a really cheesy flavour), 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp mustard (hot or dijon is good), plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Add more milk if everything gets too thick. Add grated vegan cheese for extra cheesiness.
- Tip your cooked pasta in, stir thoroughly and top with breadcrumbs and paprika then bake for 5 minutes.
- panko breadcrumbs given an aweseome, crunchy texture ~ mix in some smoked paprika, salt and tsp olive oil and heap on top of your mac cheese before baking.
- You can purchase a heat and eat vegan version of this comfort food fave, such as the Gluten Free Plantasy Foods Vegan Mac ‘n Cheez. Just add water, boil, mix and serve.
Liked this? We think you'll enjoy these recipes:
Liked this? We think you’ll enjoy these recipes: Sausage and Mash • April 29, 2022 Liked this? We think you’ll enjoy these …