Mac N CheeseCourse: MainCuisine: EuropeanDifficulty: Easy
Pasta or macaroni of your choice
Angel Food cheesy sauce mix
Non-dairy milk of your choice
Make your own sauce
Knob of plant butter
3 tbs plain flour
finely chopped garlic and onion to taste
2-3 cups plant milk
3 tbs nutrional yeast
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp mustard (hot or dijon)
salt and pepper
handful grated vegan cheese
- This can be made with Angel food cheesy sauce mix (available in some supermarkets or organic stores) and regular pasta shells.
- Cook the pasta according to instructions. Cook the Angel Food sauce mix according to instructions. Mix together.
- To make it extra tasty sprinkle smoked paprika and breadcrumbs over the top and bake for 5 mins (after already cooking on the stove top).
- Serve as it is, or try with steamed greens or salad.
- Ready made version
- You can purchase a heat and eat vegan version of this comfort food fave, such as the Gluten Free Plantasy Foods Vegan Mac ‘n Cheez. Just add water, boil, mix and serve.
- Make your own sauce
- Why not experiment with making your own sauce? Start by making a roux with 3 tbs plain flour and plant butter in a pan – whisk it for about a minute (if you like garlic and onion, chop and saute in oil, then stir in the flour.
- Remove from the heat and slowly add 2-3 cups of creamy plant milk ~ soy is good. Whisk all the time you are adding the milk. Return to the heat and stir continually until thickened.
- Now the fun part, where you can add what you want! We suggest 3 tbs nutritional yeast (brings out a really cheesy flavour), 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp mustard (hot or dijon is good), plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Add more milk if everything gets too thick. Add grated vegan cheese for extra cheesiness.
- Tip your cooked pasta in, stir thoroughly and top with breadcrumbs and paprika then bake for 5 minutes.
- panko breadcrumbs given an aweseome, crunchy texture ~ mix in some smoked paprika, salt and tsp olive oil and heap on top of your mac cheese before baking.
Liked this? We think you'll enjoy these recipes:
Liked this? We think you’ll enjoy these recipes: Pani Popo • May 5, 2022 Mini Koko Samoan Pancakes • April 29, 2022 …
Liked this? We think you’ll enjoy these recipes: Thai Carrot and Peanut Soup • April 30, 2022 Liked this? We think you’ll …