Xmas Mince PiesCourse: DessertCuisine: ChristmasDifficulty: Medium
- For the vegan mincemeat
2 cups raisins, 1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried blueberries, 1/2 cup dried figs
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped small
1/4 cup goji berries
1/2 cup dried figs, chopped small
1 apple, chopped small or grated
1/2 cup dried cherries, 1 orange, zest and juice
1-2 lemons, zest and juice, 1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons allspice, 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger, 1 tsp nutmeg
1.5 cup brandy, rum, sherry, or port. For a virgin recipe, use apple juice
- For the pie crust
2 Cups Flour [Any Flour Works]
1 Pinch Of Salt, 1/2 Cup Oil
1/4 Cup Milk (more if the pie crust is too flaky! Add in 1 tablespoon at a time)
- To make the vegan mincemeat, simply combine all mincemeat ingredients in a saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat. Simmer for around 30-40 minutes until the mincemeat mixture is thick and very sticky. Make sure to stir it once in a while.
- Leave the mincemeat mixture to cool while you make 1 recipe of my Vegan Pie Crust. You will probably have extra pie crust left over, but that is okay!
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Roll out your pie crust until it is about 2-3mm thick. Use a cookie cutter or a circular glass to cut out rounds big enough to completely fill the Mince Pie Tin
- or a mini muffin tin. You want to make sure that each hole is filled with the thin layer of dough. If you want to crimp the edges, you can do so!
- Fill each hole with enough vegan mincemeat to fill it up completely.
- Roll your dough again into a 2-3mm thick sheet and cut out your designs for the top of the mince pies. You can use a cookie cutter to cut shapes such as stars or you can just make a full circle to cover the top of the mince pie. Crimp the edges. Make sure to poke holes for a “vent” if you are making the full tops for the pie and not using a design such as a star. If you are making stars, make sure to press them firmly into the mince pie.
- Brush the tops of the mince pies first with aquafaba [liquid from the chickpea can] and then with non-dairy milk for the perfect vegan eggwash!
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until the tops of the pies are golden.
- Let them cool in the tin for 5 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack. Do not let them cool in the tin or they will get soggy!
- Eat them warm and topped with brandy butter, which is a mixture of vegan butter, brandy and sugar!