Bean ChilliCourse: MainsCuisine: EuropeanDifficulty: Easy
1 400g can beans (black beans, kidney beans or borlotti)
1 tablespoon cumin seed (or ground cumin)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon chilli powder or chilli paste
1 large onion, finely sliced or diced
2 garlic cloves, minced or chopped finely
Capsicum (or veg of your choice)
1 can chopped or whole tomatoes (400g) ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat a medium-sized heavy saucepan (don’t add any oil) and toast the cumin, oregano, paprika and chilli powder on a medium heat until fragrant. Stir constantly.
- Add onion, garlic and chilli paste to the pan and stir to coat with the herbs and spices.
- Drain the juice from the can of tomatoes into the pot and let that simmer with the lid on for about 10 minutes.
- Add the can of drained beans, the tomatoes and capsicum, then simmer with the lid on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning before you add the salt, it may not be necessary, and add liquid smoke for some variation.