½ brown onion, diced
250 g arborio rice
125 g kimchi
15 g gochujang paste
10 g fresh coriander
15 g ginger and garlic paste (or fresh puree)
100 ml cooking wine
100 g Angel Food Cheddar Cheese, grated
25 g Angel Food Parmesan Cheese
120 g panko breadcrumbs
15 g vegan margarine
750 ml warm water
5 g salt (optional)
Cooking oil (neutral)-enough to cover and fry the arancini
Gochujang Dipping Sauce:
50 g gochujang paste
250 ml maple syrup
10 g ginger and garlic paste (or fresh puree)
15 g fresh coriander
15 ml sesame oil
- For the Arancini heat a high-sided saucepan over medium heat. Add a knob of vegan margarine and a dash of cooking oil and saute the onions, ginger and garlic paste for approx 3 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add the rice and the gochujang paste to the saucepan and stir through until the rice starts to turn slightly translucent. Deglaze the pan by adding cooking wine and stirring while bringing the wine to boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and continue to stir until the wine evaporates.
- Stir in 1 cup (240 ml) of warm water and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Continue to add warm water, one cup at a time and stir frequently, until the rice is al dente.
- Remove from heat and add kimchi, coriander, Angel Food vegan cheddar and Angel Food vegan parmesan and mix. Allow this to cool to room temperature then refrigerate for 45 minutes. (Make the gochujang dipping sauce while you wait.)
- Use an icecream or cookie scoop to take out 40 g portions of the rice mix and roll in your hands to make balls.
- Dip the rice balls into panko crumbs and roll until they are evenly crumbed.
- Heat a deep fryer to 160° C OR fill a large saucepan ⅓ deep with neutral cooking oil and heat. (See below for a NO FRY method)
- Deep fry the rice balls in batches for approx 3 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle them with coarse sea salt (optional) and serve with gochujang dipping sauce.
- For the Gochujang Dipping Sauce heat the oil in saucepan. When sizzling hot, add the garlic and ginger paste and saute for 30 seconds.
- Combine remaining ingredients in the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Cool down then refrigerate until serving.
- Note: you can microwave for 30 seconds before serving. Add extra maple syrup to adjust the consistency as needed.
- NO FRY METHOD: Bake rice balls in the oven at 160° C for 12-15 minutes. For extra crispy crunch, toast the panko breadcrumbs in the oven on a tray with parchment paper for 5-10 minutes before crumbing the rice balls.